Sonic Gems Collection is a compilation video game released in 2005. After the release of the Sonic Mega Collection, Gems was intended to be a release of all the rarer games that hadn't already been re-released. The main draw of the collection was Sonic the Hedgehog CD, with Sonic R and Sonic the Fighters also featuring. Six Game Gear titles (Sonic Drift 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic Spinball, Sonic Triple Trouble, Tails' Skypatrol and Tails Adventure) and two Vectorman titles also made the cut. In Japan, all three Streets of Rage games appeared, as well as Bonanza Bros..
Knuckles' Chaotix was originally planned to be on the game but was later scrapped. Segasonic the Hedgehog was another game set to appear, but problems with emulating the trackball led to this also being postponed.
Being a collection, the nine games featured a large amount of characters who have some sort of equivalent in Sonic the Comic:
- Sonic the Hedgehog - all but the Tails titles.
- Miles "Tails" Prower - all but Sonic CD.
- Knuckles the Echidna - Sonic R, Fighters, Drift 2 and Triple Trouble.
- Doctor Robotnik - all but the Tails titles.
- Metal Sonic - all three main titles, plus Drift 2.
- Amy Rose - all three main titles, plus Drift 2.
- Super Sonic - Sonic R
- Eggrobo - Sonic R
- Tails Doll - Sonic R
- Metal Knuckles - Sonic R
- Espio the Chameleon - Sonic the Fighters
- Nack the Weasel - Sonic the Fighters, Triple Trouble and Drift 2
- Bean the Dynamite - Sonic the Fighters
- Bark the Polar Bear - Sonic the Fighters
Assistant editor Matt Harris analysed the collection in the Issue 237 edition of the Review Zone, awarding it 88%. Harris stated that there were plenty of rare Sonic games and an excellent unlockable system, but moaned that the titles on offer paled in comparison to the Mega Collection selection.