Swords are bladed weapons with a handle that are designed to either slash or stab enemies, usually for an instant kill. They are otherwise used to maim opponents by cutting off arms, legs, or fingers. Despite the deadly connotations, they are used quite often in Sonic the Comic, particularly in the Sega Superstars strips.
- Both Ax-Battler and Tyris-Flare wield them in The Legend of the Golden Axe (although Tyris later swaps to the Golden Axe), while they duel with enemies like lizards and skeletons also armed with swords.
- Joe Musashi owns a "Musashi blade" in the Shinobi stories, one few can fight against as it can even pierce stone. However, the sword was destroyed by The Void when it became impaled in a wall, yet Musashi appeared to have a spare one for his next mission.
- As Red Stealth, Casey wielded a sword in order to fight Fire-breath, but gave it to Suzi so that she escaped. Red Stealth was saved from near-death when Suzi returned to kill the monster and repay her debt. For some reason, the first slash of the sword had the unexpected effect of shrinking the beast.
- The Sky Pirates are all armed with swords, which proved effective against Trooper Badniks but no well against Sonic the Hedgehog and the Freedom Fighters.
- Tails was made to carry one along with his Enchanted Armour when he visited the Nameless Zone on the first few occasions. As well as fending off goblins, Tails accidentally used it to cut the Dimension Bridge he and Trogg were fighting on, causing them to plummet into the abyss. Fortunately, Tails could fly. As an aside, Trogg and all goblins either carried swords or maces.
- The ninjas in the Streets of Rage series use swords.
- Shion of Wonder Boy used his sword extensively in Demon World, fighting off many of his foes along with his shield. At the start of Wonder Boy in Ghost World, Shion combines his sword with fire magic, but ends up ruining his sword. Shion is then unarmed for the rest of the story.